Friday, February 1, 2008

Mailbox Crap, Pt. 1 - Admail

Raise your hand if you love admail! Woo hoo! And who enjoys the pound or so of flyers dumped in their mailbox weekly? Oh yeah!

After a lot of phone calls, a trip to the post office, and many instances of chasing newspaper and mail carriers down the street, I think I've finally put a plug in the stream of crap flooding my mailbox.

Admail pisses me off to no end. All the waste that goes into designing, printing, and delivering these glossy ads of things I'll either never want or simply look in the yellow pages for, could be so better spent elsewhere. I pull it out of the mailbox, it clutters up my counter for a couple of hours, and then it makes its way directly to the gray box, which my husband carries to the curb every two weeks. Two weeks of admail can really add up to quite a pile of dead tree.

A few months back, I got sick of it, and decided that it was MY mailbox attached to MY house, and I should bloody well have a say in what goes into it. So I made up a sign which reads:

"Please help us to be green! Please leave no newspapers, flyers, or any other UNADDRESSED mail here." I even included a cute little clipart Earth with a face, ice pack on its forehead and a thermometer stuck in its mouth.

However, this didn't work. Nothing changed at all. So I called Canada Post and left a message. Nobody got back to me. I called again, and again, and always received an answering machine. Finally, I gathered all the admail that I had received since putting up my sign, and took it to the main post office.

They weren't very happy. I told them I had a sign on my mailbox stating I didn't accept junkmail (only I referred to it as recycling, and they corrected me...it's admail, NOT recycling, ahem). The nice lady gave me a phone number to call to opt out of junkmail. She wrote it on the top piece of rec...ahem, ADMAIL that I had brought back to them. She was even less pleased when I ripped off the phone number and left my ADMAIL on her counter as I walked out.

The admail stopped for a while. The few times that I did receive it again, I either dropped it back into the red mail box up the street, or hand it back to the mail carrier. On one of these occasions, I chased her across the street, and instead of taking it back, she told me to just drop it in the mailbox below mine! What, so that guy will get two identical pieces to put in his recycle bin? I fairly growled at her as I thrust it into her hand.

I haven't received any admail for quite a while now, and am very happy.

Now here is something I wish I had known about long ago, it's called the "Red Dot Campaign". They give a solution to admail, which is to send a form letter (available on their site) to Canada Post requesting no admail be delivered to your address. Your mail carrier should then affix a red dot sticker to your mail box to remind them that your house does not want junk mail.

Hopefully, this will rid you of your admail. If it doesn't, feel free to open some of your ADDRESSED admail, look for a stamped return envelope from that advertiser, place your other admail in it, and send it to them. Eye for an eye, and all that.

On Monday, I'll tell you about my grief with local newspapers.

No comments: