Thursday, January 31, 2008

Evil Tissues

Today's tidbit is thanks to the Greenpeace folks - one of their campaigners brought this to my attention last summer. No matter how frequently I come back to this and re-read the facts, the impact does not lose its ferocity.

The Boreal forest is a huge tract of ancient forest which covers most of Canada. Most of us have probably wiped our asses with parts of this forest.

Greenpeace offers a Shopper's Guide to Ancient Forest Friendly Tissue. Here you can learn which toilet tissue, paper towel, and facial tissue brands are Good (contain a high percentage of post-consumer recycled content), Bad (unclear or uncertain about ancient forest friendliness) or Evil (do not contain recycled content; are bleached with chlorine).

Personally, I'm going to go hunting for Cascades brand toilet tissue this weekend. I caught their commercial on tv the other night and was surprised to hear that some of their products are made from 100% recycled fibres. Hopefully, it's not of the sandpaper variety...once I track it down, I'll review it.

No comments: