Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dump Decor

Thanks to J for letting me in on this secret!

My daughter's room has been transformed from antiseptic to girly with a simple coat of paint on one wall and the back of her door. The loveliest shade of pink...not too light, not too bright...just a soft shade, perfect for my little princess. It couldn't have turned out better if I'd ordered the paint myself.

And I didn't. I picked it up from the dump. Lucky, I admit, to find just the shade I didn't know I was looking for, but who knows? It could happen to you.

Check with your local dump...hazardous waste division. In my area, every Thursday and the second Saturday of each month are the days when they set up tables in the parking lot and lay out the cans of paint, stains, and even drywall compound! that others have brought in to be disposed of. And they're all free...people are welcome to take as much as they like. After all, if you use it all, they don't have to dispose of it...and if you don't, well...you'll just have to bring it back again, eventually, right?

I wanted to spruce up a few walls in our house and was hoping to get lucky. I did, with the pink, and a full bucket of drywall compound (even small children can poke holes in walls, with the right tools/toys). LOTS of white was also available, and I'm sure everyone's got at least one white wall in their house that could use a new coat to look...well, new.

Kudos to the dump. Pass the word! Dump Decor is IN.

No comments: